|BACK TO THE ARTIST|
Corner of the Garden at Montgeron , 1876
Together with Pond at Montgeron (also in the Hermitage), this painting belonged to a series of canvases that decorated the home of Ernest Hoschede in Montgeron. In spite of a widely held belief, these landscapes are not a pair, as they differ in composition. Although it is unknown how the entire series must have appeared at the time, the group also included The Turkeys (Louvre) and The Chase (Charles Durand-Ruel collection, Paris). The two latter canvases had the same height as the Hermitage ones but a different width.
Hoschede was one of the few patrons who supported the Impressionists during their intense struggle for recognition. Monet spent the autumn of 1876 in the Hoschede Chateau de Rottembourg in Montgeron. Contrary to his usual manner of working at the time, the Corner of the Garden at Montgeron was painted indoors and employed a preliminary sketch, which now belongs to the Neison Harris collection, USA (Wildenstein, no. 417).
Signed, bottom right: CI. M
Hermitage Museum, inv. no. 9152
Provenance: Ernest Hoschede collection. Montgeron: 1878, J. B. Faure collection. Paris (purchased from Hoschede for 50 francs in an auction): 1907. Durand-Ruel Gallery, Paris; 1907, Morozov collection. Moscow (bought for 40.000 francs): 1918. Second Museum of Modern Western Art, Moscow; 1923, Museum of Modem Western Art. Moscow; since 1948. Hermitage. Leningrad.
|Medium||Oil on canvas|
|Dimensions||175 x 194 cm|